CHINESE NEW YEAR GIFT IDEAS: THE YEAR OF THE RAT
Unique gifts to give in order to celebrate the Spring FestivalCelebrate being fortuitous by spoiling your loved ones! In the wake of the Lunar New Year, it is customary to send gifts as a signal of gratitude. If your plan it to give a gift along with a red envelope filled with money, or food samples, here is a list that is filled with inspiration for a more personalized approach. Special, one-of-a-kind, and fun gift ideas for any of the people on your list.
This is the last straw anyone will ever need. Individually handcrafted, these straws are eco-friendly, reusable, and original. Each straw is around 7 inches long. Comes with a cleaning brush that fits all the way through the tube.
Buy the Bamboo Straws here
Year of the Rat Socks
Celebrate the year of the Rat with cute crew-length fuzzy socks! The interior thermal fleece lining is extra thick, ensuring superior warm for any wearer. Comes in a variety of animals.
Buy Demdaco Figurines here
In case you forgot, here is a list of gifts you should never give for the Chinese New Year (1):
- Handkerchiefs. They are considered a parting gift.
- Sharp objects. It signals "cutting ties."
- Shoes. An item to wear away, symbolizes leaving. Also the word for it is similar to bad luck.
- Mirrors. Fragile; breaking them is a bad omen. Mirrors are also an important part of Feng Shui, and placing one facing the wrong direction leads to misfortune.
- Clocks. The word sounds just like the word for "end." Exchanging one as a gift is like suggesting it is the end of the receiver's life.
- Pears. Gifting a pear is much like saying there is to be a permanent separation of a friend or family member.
- Umbrella. Similar to the word "split," an umbrella seems as though the giver is eliciting a split between them and the recipient.
- Hats. Giving the wrong color hat can be interpreted strongly negative. It is best to avoid giving hats altogether.
- Wallets/purses. Giving one as a gift is an omen of sending one's fortune away. It is only acceptable to give to a spouse due to money staying within the family.
- Belt, tie, or underwear. These items are considered too intimate. Gifting is insinuates wanting to have a closer relationship with that person.
- Chrysanthemums. Usually only given in time of mourning.
- The Number 4. The pronunciation of "four" is much alike the word for "death."
- Black or white. These are both funeral colors, it is commonplace to avoid giving these colors as any type of gift.